Frogs and Toadstools started when I was looking for a baby life jacket for my daughter who weighed 6kg. I could find baby life jackets for under 14kg babies, but these did not sit very well on Zara (if you are looking for a vest for 8kg-14kg click here). She looked very uncomfortable in the sitting position as the baby life jacket would lift up into her neck and chin as she was very tiny.
I soon came across the Salus Bijoux Infant Life Vest made by Canadian company, Salus Marine. These fit babies from 4kg(!!) to 11kg and come in four colours, Red, Blue, Pink and Lime.
Features of the Salus Bijoux Baby Life Vest include:
* Three-piece collar design with additional floatation on sides to cradle baby’s head in centre of collar for security and comfort;
* Easy to reach lifting strap;
* Adjustable mesh and webbing harness system for security, venting and comfort;
* Easy access into vest with the two shoulder adjustment buckles;
* Short front for enhanced comfort while in the sitting position;
* Dry-Lex Aerospacer liner for breathability, temperature control, drainage and comfort for baby; and
* Mesh back allows the baby to lie comfortably on a blanket or baby carrier.
But perhaps the best feature is that the front design ensure that baby turns face-up from a face-forward position. How great is that!!!!
What I also really like about Salus Marine is that all their life vests are made in their warehouse in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. Therefore, each PDF is cut, assembled and sewn by Canadians, not a low-cost manufacturing factory in Asia. This also means that while not only looking after their workers, quality control is immediate and any problems are addressed in hours, not days. Salus Marine is also committed to the “reduce, reuse, recycle” model so they are actively trying to re-use materials, not send them to land refills.
Have a look at this short You Tube Video to see the Salus Bijoux in Action